Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Once a Daddy's Girl, Always a (Proud) Daddy's Girl

Please welcome my June Blog Exchange partner, WebKittyn! I'll be over at her place today!

GF


A thousand years ago... alright, make it the late 70's. Way back in the late 70's it came to be Visiting Day at Camp Mataponi in Naples, Maine. It wasn't my first summer at sleepaway camp, my parents sent me off young with the rest of the thumb-sucking bed-wetting crew but something was different about that year. That year I clung to my father's chest and cried like the very soul was being ripped from me. I didn't want to leave him, I needed my daddy to take me with him when he and my mother left. They let me go home with them but that's not the point.

Almost 40 years later I spent five months away from my home and back up with my parents. My dad hasn't been all that healthy and I am lucky enough to have circumstances that allow me to take off and go for five months. At the end of the five months on the day I was to leave it came full circle as I, a grown woman, clung to my father's chest as the tears poured out of my eyes. Not wanting to go, not wanting to leave him, not wanting to be away from him. This time I came out alone though and it sucks. The first time around had a much happier ending.

I am a daddy's girl. I always have been, always will be and I make no apologies for this. I was blessed with wonderful parents who remain my best friends and my father was always (and still is) the Lord of the Manor and the man around whom it all revolves.

I was a pain in the ass as a teenager, I was a pain in the ass in my 20's and I'm still a pain in the ass. I gave my parents a lot of grey hair and a lot of sleepless nights but through it all there was love and support and a traditional set of values in a non-traditional home where my mother went off to work as my dad quit his job teaching college to sell rare used books.

My father gave me the world of books. He gave me his twisted sense of humour and thirst for knowledge and depth. He gave me a kick in the ass when I needed it. He was always there with support and encouragement and love. As I got older he became my father and my friend.

Dads are so important to the way a child grows, I've always said this and I stand by it. Even in this age of the glorified single mom (nothing against single moms), I stand and say that a father is something a kid needs. Dads don't always get the same amount of accolades that moms get but they're just as crucial and just as necessary. My mother is a wonderful person who was always a fantastic mother but there were just some things that were my dad and I, things I went to him for and things only he could have done with me or taught me.

I wish I could give every kid in the world a dad like mine and sometimes it makes me sad that I haven't given him a grandchild to bless the way he did me. I wish every kid in the world could feel safe in daddy's arms like I did when I was young and old. I wish every dad in the world would step up to the plate and realise the impact they will have for life on their child.

I say thank you to all the dads I read about in the many blogs I lurk, the dads who are involved and full of love and devotion to their families.

It may be a 'greeting card holiday' but the sacred gift that is a dad is a truly wonderful gift that deserves to be celebrated. Happy Father's Day to my dad and Gunfighter whose blog I haunt today and all the dads out there who may read this.

Do me a favour since mine is 90 miles away. If you can, reach out right now and hug your dad/kid/whatever applies.


WebKittyn is a former smoker (110+ days), internet radio station owner, link fiend and cat lover who blogs regularly at WebKittyn Warbles. Gunfighter's post is over at the Warbles today so come on over and take a look. This lovely exchange of bloggy goodness is part of the monthly Blog Exchange run by Kristen of Motherhood Uncensored!

14 comments:

Gunfighter said...

Brava, WebKittyn!

I am with you, regarding the importance of fathers... Dad just cannot be replaced.

Paige said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paige said...

I whole heartedly agree with you about the importance of fathers in every child's life.

A small side note, Father's Day,like Mother's Day, is not a 'greeting card holiday'. It only became such later. The holiday was developed by a woman in 1909 to celebrate her father who was a single fathr raising his kids after his wife died in labor with the 6th kid. She chose June because that was the date of her father's birthday. Presidents Coolidge, Johnson and Nixon all supported and helped make the 3rd Sunday in June a day for fathers. Hallmark had nothing to do with it. :)

ooops. didn't mean to delete my previous post. Sorry.

Jenn in Holland said...

Exactly! From one proud daddy's girl to another, I say hurrah for dad's!
Well done.

soccer mom in denial said...

I really think someone should make adult size "daddy's little girl" shirts. I'd wear it with pride!

And lucky for me my little girl has that worship look in her eyes when HER daddy is around. Nice to see it continue.

Jodi said...

beautiful post

BlackLiterature said...

ok... sniffling, tearing up.

I'm calling my Dad now.

Mommy the Maid said...

I wish I had a father like yours growing up. He sounds like an absolutly wonderful man.

nutmeg said...

Having grown up without a dad, I can't tell you how much this post touched me!

Kittyn said...

Gunfighter, it's an honour having you over at my place.

Thank you to everyone who commented, your words touch me. My dad just had a major health scare last week and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to do the exchange but I'm glad I did.

Many many thanks.

Heather said...

I wasn't that close to my Dad growing up, but I am more as an adult. I'm glad that I've had the chance to get to know him as a person, not just as my Dad. There are many who don't have those opportunities and desperately wish they did.

My Dad has given me insight into many things.

Dads are pretty cool.

Loved your post even though my comment is all about me. I'm self-centered like that.

FishyGirl said...

How wonderful that you have such a good father.

Melanie said...

Webkittyn- Look what I found for you!!

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/pregnancy/-/pv_design_details/pg_19/id_16098363/opt_/fpt__P___________Dc_PXi__FD___aG___C/c_362/

Ok you'll have to copy and paste that!

YummY! said...

Dads are the greatest. I'm also a big daddy's girl, (though I've turned into a bad daughter who doesn't call often enough.)