Monday, November 27, 2006

Applesauce

When I want a special dessert, I make applesauce.

That's right... applesauce. You remember applesauce, don't you? You probably fed/feed it to your kids. You probably remember eating it yourself, in your youth.

Well, I not talking about generic, off-the-shelf applesauce, I am talking about the most sublime dessert treat there is (even better than whipped cream right out of the can).

So here is Gunfighter's recipe for applesauce... feel free to use it or change it as you wish:

Ingredients:

8-10 Granny Smith apples
Apple Cider
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Juice of 1 lime


Cut the apples into quarters

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Core the apples (use an apple core remover, if you have one... I don't)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Place the apples in a pot (the more sauce you make, the large pot you are going to need, of course)

Add lime juice.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cover apples with cider (apples float, so just guesstimate!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Simmer for about 30 minutes (check frequently, your mileage may vary)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When the apples are soft enough, use a potato masher to remove the pulpy fruit from the skin.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Using a spoon, remove the apple skins from the pot.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Your proto-sauce will look a bit like this (please note the color)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Add vanilla extract.

Add cinnamon sugar.


Simmer on low, stirring frequently, for about 2 hours.
(your house will smell sooo good by now!)

You are done when your applesauce is of the right color and consistency for your taste!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now... the good part!

Take out your ice cream of choice (vanilla bean for us), spoon it into a bowl...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Spoon warm applesauce over your ice cream and enjoy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am telling you right here, right now, that if you serve this to friends/family/sig. other, you will be exceptionally popular.

Trust me.

This is the nearest thing to seeing God as you are likely to get when eating.

12 comments:

Tasha said...

I make mine exactly the same way, only I use Gala apples, and I remove the skin before I cook them. Sometimes I'll add a touch of cornstarch to thicken the applesauce up, and use it in place of preserves or jelly on toast--yum! I definitely agree about the surge in popularity once a batch has been made :-)

Gunfighter said...

Cool, Tasha!

I used to skin the apples first, but it was a bit labor intensive, so I went the slacker route.

It is funny you mention using it on taost, as I think that my applesauce, taken a wee bit further would wind up like apple butter, which I truly love.

GF

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness that looks so yummy!

Kelley said...

Yum...

I remember making applesauce with my grandmother as a child, and there really is nothing like it. I never thought to try it over ice cream, though - it looks heavenly!

Middle Girl said...

Not a fan of applesauce, but I think this is definitely a different realm, worth a visit.

I haven't had apple butter since I was a kid-one of our sitters made it regularly.

Thanks for sharing and for the oh so easy to follow steps, with pics!

Grimm said...

Growing up I used to make triple and quadruple decker applesauce sandwiches using the store bought stuff but I have never have had homemade.

I might have to try this recipe out if the family ever lets me near a kitchen again.

Lawyer Mama said...

You must have been reading my mind. I was just thinking about making some apple sauce last night. Your recipe looks far yummier than mine. I'll try it out this week!

Lisa Johnson said...

I love this post! Great pictures and recipe. I haven't made applesauce in a long time, but I never thought to use apple cider. Yum! Seeing this recipe now, it seems so obvious!

PunditMom said...

Wow, applesauce from scratch. My grandmother would be VERY proud!

vasilisa said...

I definetly gotta try this! I love apple sauce, but never ever made it... I just steal jars from my kiddo :-(

Anonymous said...

I made applesauce out of the leftover apples from my Thanksgiving apple pie, but I used peach juice in place of cider because it was all I had. I'll have to try your recipe.

So happy to have "discovered" you via Suzanne's blog!

Gunfighter said...

Welcome, Kristina!