Friday, November 3, 2006

It's Friday. Tag!

I got this from my pal Anali's blog. She told me to consider myself tagged, and since I have to teach a class shortly, and have little time for weighty thoughts, I thought I would give this a go.

Please list 8-10 things about your childhood (from 1 to 12 years of age) that you miss, then the same number of things that you don't miss.

Have fun, kids.


Things I liked about childhood that I miss

1. The excitement of Saturday morning cartoons.

2. Learning to swim at the Union (NJ) Boys Club.

3. Playing water polo.

4. Watching Star Trek reruns after swimming and playing water polo.

5. Watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos on PBS every Saturday afternoon before dinner.

6. Being a Boy Scout (I would have been an Eagle Scout, but...).

7. Riding our sleds at a local country club golf course in the winter.

8. My first real crush (a girl named Cheryl whose mother thought I was really cute).

9. Michael & Brian's hot mom! (she wore tube tops and short-shorts... it was the 70's, ok?)

10. Beating the crap out of other people at Scrabble!


Things I disliked about childhood

1. Living with a single parent with addictions.

2. My 4th grade teacher (Rhoda Kaplan) for torturing me through math. She refused to believe that I just didn't understand some of the things she was talking about... the old bitch! I have scars, can you tell?

3. Being picked on for being fat.

4. Being picked on because I read a lot (they called me "Professor").

5. Being picked on because I didn't talk "black".

6. Being picked on for being a social misfit.

7. My disturbed brother.

8. Being poor.

9. Going to choir rehearsal.

10. Sharing a room with the aforementioned disturbed brother.

These are my lists. Anyone who would like to do the lists too, consider yourself tagged!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Saturday morning cartoons! They were awesome because it was the only time they were on (nowdays, you can find them on t.v. anytime).

I also loved riding my bike, playing kickball in my backyard and picking berries with my mom.

Great post!

Gunfighter said...

Saturday morning between 8 & 11 was a magic time in my week in those days!

Kelley said...

*sigh* I'm a really nostalgic person. There's just nothing like the simple pleasures of being a kid.

I'm really jealous that you went sledding as a child. My husband used to do that, too. I grew-up in south Texas, so I didn't even see snow until I moved away to go to college. And I've still never been on a sled. :(

Gunfighter said...

Sledding was one of the great joys of living in northern New Jersey... along with Italian Hot Dogs... O lord!

The Thinking Black Man said...

Hmm, let's see...

I had the fastest Flexible Flyer sled in North America as a kid! I owned the hills when it snowed!

I loved playing baseball and football with my cousins and friends as a kid.

I loved making slingshots as a kid! You could take a coathanger, some rubber bands and a good piece of denim and make a world class slinger. Of course I always got the denim pieces from my old school jeans that my mom would cut off to make into my summer playshorts!

We had a spring in Baltimore where my Dad and I would go once a week to fill up jugs with the coldest / best tasting water I ever had.

I miss my head full of hair too!

Middle Girl said...

1--12 - you remember, 1?

I'd be hard pressed to come up with even,8 things I miss about my first 12 years.

The dogs. My dad, when he was around, brought home strays. My younger brother started doing it too. We have had an eclectic collection of dogs over the years.

Lisa Johnson said...

Glad to see you picked up the tag! I loved those Saturday cartoons too!

Gunfighter said...

TTBM,

Ahem... I had the fastest flexible flyer in not only North America, but also in the eantire western hemisphere.

Take that!

Kelley,

Where in So. Texas?