Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Advent

It's Advent, folks!

Well, Advent started a few days ago, but you knew that, right?

What's that? You are unfamiliar with the Advent season? Been a awhile since Sunday School for some of you, perhaps?. Well, good ol' Mr. Gunfighter is here with a wee reminder.

The Advent season marks the preparation for the celebration of the birth of Christ. Coincidentally, or maybe not so coincidentally, it happens at the same time of what most people refer to as the Christmas season.

In different faith traditions, the season of Advent begins on varying dates, but in the Lutheran tradition, Advent starts on the first of December... just a scant few days before my birthday... not that I am hinting at any of you.

I'd never do that.

Right... Advent.

From Wikipedia (which explains this so much better than me):

Christians believe that the season of Advent serves a dual reminder of the original waiting that was done by the Hebrews for the birth of their Messiah as well as the waiting that Christians today endure as they await the second coming of Christ.


This is a particularly important time in the church year, and during Sunday services in many churches (and certainly in Lutheran churches) a favorite Advent hynm is sung... that's the one you can hear now, if your volume is up and I embedded properly.

It is called "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel!"

It's a big favorite of mine.

11 comments:

crazymumma said...

It would not work over my way.....too bad, its a lovely hymn.

Gunfighter said...

Bummer!

Welcome Crazymumma!

soccer mom in denial said...

One of my favorite hymms as well! Good taste.

Jen said...

Mine, too. It instills instant peace for me. I just love it.

CamiKaos said...

am I supposed to be hearing it?

Flower Child said...

I love advent. Love it more than Christmas. We Presbyterians start it the 4 Sundays before Christmas - lighting a candle each Sunday and then a fifth candle on Christmas Eve. So beautiful.

and I love the hymn.

Anonymous said...

We catholics begin the fourth Sunday before Christmas too. I put the Creche out...but not my Advent Wreath, as I forgot to get the candles.

I also love that hymn.

Annie said...

For Catholics, too - it's Advent - started this past Sunday. I can't hear the hymn but I know it well - and love it. It's nice to focus on this amidst all the commercial mayhem.

Anonymous said...

Working fine here. I do love that hymn, and it's Mick's favorite.

Melissa said...

Advent is my favorite, too.

And you do have marvelous taste in hymns. I do a mean rendition of this on the cello so I'm a little biased. I get to play it each Sunday three times! Yippee!

Wholly Burble said...

Beautiful hymn, and so glad it played fine for me. So peaceful, and uplifting.

And just when is GF birth date? Inquiring minds want to know--and also to wish you a happy birthday.