Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What Do You Mean "Undecided"?

Shortly before midnight on New Year's Eve, Mrs Gunfighter and I happened upon a speech being given by Michelle Obama, Esq. to a group of Iowans, regarding the upcoming Iowa caucuses. The content of the speech isn't important here, but the aftermath of the speech goes right to the heart of this post.

After the speech, Mrs. Obama spent some time pressing the flesh, which she was quite good at, by the way, and like a good politician she made eye contact with the people and asked if they were planning to caucus for the Obama campaign. Many of the people that she spoke to said that they would, and then there were these people: The people that actually said that they still hadn't made up their minds.

Now, I live and work in the Washington, DC area, and politics is a constant part of my life... I just don't understand how anyone in the state of Iowa hasn't figured out whom they wish to support.

I don't get it. I really don't. The Republican and Democratic candidates have been pounding through that state like nobody's business, and they can't make up their minds? Or is it just a privacy thing. That I get, but to tell you the truth, if Mike Huckabee, just for instance, asked me if I could count on his vote, I would tell him no, and I'd tell him why not... and then I would politely thank him for taking the time to talk to me anyway.

Are any of you really not sure of whom you plan to support in the coming election?

How can you not know?

GF

11 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Because I'm sick and tired of the long process, and my primary isn't for a while, and I wait to see who shakes out, and I don't live and breathe politics, and I have a life, and...

I have my ideas. I just keep them close to the cuff. I've always been that way.

Anonymous said...

The undecideds are kind of like popular high school girls dithering over invitations to the prom. It's far more gratifying to them to be courted by the many than to please just one boy.

Wholly Burble said...

OK, I'm from Iowa--and you're right, we get plenty of opportunities to hear from everyone who's even faintly thinking of running, starting a year or better "out" LOL.

I know I've said something like I'm still thinking about it, just because I don't always want to say "no, I'm not voting for you" when someone is in my face. It can mean they feel compelled to push me further about the why's and, like a used car salesman, they want to "make the sale" and convert me.

Unlike you, who are brave and valiant and used to carry live rounds, I was brought up to play close to the vest, and basically not hurt anyone's feelings (which telling the truth can do--so not wishing to lie, you say nothing at all--even to politicians LOL).

Julie Pippert said...

I don't know yet. I'm torn between a few candidates. Sue me. ;)

(And I AM NOT a popular high school girl dithering over invitations and enjoying being courted. I was and remain a NERD who has yet to hear the convincing argument.)

But nobody cares what my state thinks anyway. (deleting additional editorial) It's a pretty done deal they'll majority vote for the most ridiculous and conservative Republican possible.

After all this state has supported and promoted George W Bush for almost 20 years.

But I have no room to speak since my previous state elected MITT ROMNEY.

Anyway this is pejorative and invective so I understand if you need to delete.

I'm just saying it's complicated. And full of bias.

Julie
Using My Words

Anonymous said...

I haven't decided who I'm going to support, though I know quite a few I will definitely not support. I also suspect that if a candidate or a candidate's spouse asked me to my face if I would support him/her I would be polite and say I was undecided rather than saying "hell no" to their face. Unless, of course, that candidate was one of the ones I really can't stand.

Jen said...

I don't know, in part, because I haven't found a candidate that I can embrace with no reservations, which I find extremely frustrating. I'm really pretty depressed by this election. I know who I'd go with, if I'd have to declare by the caucus, but I still wouldn't feel entirely good about it. I know who I wouldn't support, and I know that unreservedly, and since that's all but two candidates, I guess I'm in the right direction.

Jen said...

I should also say that I'm not depressed because I think all the candidates lack integrity. I think two have incredible integrity. My concern is more with the fact that I think the system is broken, currently, and even if one of my two choices got in, I'm not sure they could effect change with our gridlocked Congress. Sorry about my long ramble. You just produced a very thought-provoking post. And that's a good thing, except you got stuck reading my ramble (or just ignoring it)!

Anonymous said...

I haven't made up my mind because none of them really seem to represent what my wishes for my country are. I hate it, but I will probaby end up voitng for the lesser of two evils.....again.

weese said...

the whole process of the democratic caucus amuses me.
do they serve alcohol at these things? i really think that could be a huge improvment.

Melissa said...

I'm not sure either. But I live in Texas, too, so goodness only knows who will be left by then.

Given my druthers, I'd choose Edwards, then Obama. Although I have to say that occasionally Paul makes sense. Which scares me.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Not sure who I will vote for yet...
I am pretty sure...
but I have concerns..

I simply don't trust any politician... I think they all say what we want to hear...

I do think this is the most important election of my life...
but..
I am dreading a year of political ads. UGH..
they all bash each other... drives me batty.