Thursday, September 7, 2006

Soccer Dad IV

Thought you were done reading about this stuff, didn't you? Fat chance!

Tonight is the first night of soccer practice for the fall season, and yours truly is primed and ready! Armed with my copy of "The Complete idiot's Guide To Coaching Youth Soccer" I have already set up our drills and excercises for the evening. I know of a group of eight-year-olds that are going home tired tonight!!!!

My daughter is excited... she is so jazzed up the she wanted to wear her cleats in the house last night (not happening, baby!). On the subject of cleats, I had to remind the team moms at our meeting the other night, that they need to check and make sure that their kids shoes still fit. The ones that they wore during the spring season may have been outgrown over the summer.

Most of the girls from last year are returning to play again this year. Of the two that aren't returning; one is ill and the other isn't playing because she hates running, which was readily apparent last year. We picked up one more player, who has never played before, so the team is relatively intact with only one brand new player.

Our first game is this coming saturday, which should be interesting, as the little cherubs are going to have to play wihout the coaches on the field with them for the first time... and we are going to have referees as well! The coach, Debbie, is going to run substitutions while I do the shouting from the sidelines.

The only fly in the ointment is that the girls have decided that they didn't want to keep the name "Iron Butterflies". Being little girls, they decided that they just want to be The Butterflies. Bummer. I kind of liked the old name better, but I guess the reference to the 1960's acid rock band was lost on kids born in the late 90's.

This is gonna be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my how I miss youth soccer. Both my son & daughter played, for a time, and shuttling between games -though trying- was great fun. My daughter became so enthused that she joined a traveling team that played on Sundays through-out the state-logged a lot of miles.

About the name--don't fret, could have been worse..."Ironing"..Butterflies :)