Here are a few things about living in the Washington, DC area that make me laugh. People from other places may wonder about some of them, so, if you need clarification, just ask.
I especially love #27.
You Know You're From DC When...
1. You say you're from DC, but you actually live in Va or Md.
2. Ice on the roads just means that you pay more attention to other cars, but still go 75 mph on the highways (I don't do this, which is how I stay out of ditches).
3. You can tell when the roads change from DC to Maryland (they get better), and Maryland to Vriginia (they get better still).
4. You know where the Pentagon really is.
5. You can see the National Cathedral from almost anywhere.
6. You actually know at what times the streets change directions and which they direction they change to.
7. You know that Georgetown is NOT only a school
8. You know that Northern VA. is in no way similar to the rest of VA.
9. When you say you're going to the mall you don’t necessarily mean you're going shopping.
10. The Old Post Office doesn't sell stamps.
11. You can take the Metro to another state.
12. You know that we call it Targét, not Target... and are well aware that the one in Alexandria is just a "tad different".
13. You can live next door to a senator/vice president, ousted foreign leader, or any political figure and it is no big deal.
14. The term "inside the beltway" has more significance than national politics.
15. Washington National Airport is and will always be "WASHINGTON NATIONAL" not "Reagan National”
16. You claim that there’s nothing to do on a weekend night even when you have the entire Nation's Capitol to explore.
17. You actually know that Captiol Hill really is a hill.
18. You say "NOVA" to refer to the community college and not to Nothern Virginia itself.
19. You turn on the "local news" to hear about the latest national scandals/events.
20. A Virginian doesn't even have to look at a cars license plate to know that it is a Maryland driver.
21. It's not "the subway" it's The Metro.
22. When you are driving at night, in PG County, and you see 5 police cars pulling someone over you know its just for a rountine stop.
23. You know what PG County means.
24. You've ever had to explain to someone that there's more to Arlington than a big cemetery.
25. You have a few friends who don't know, or can't tell you what their spouse does for a living...It's Top Secret government work... Just like yours.
26. You describe traffic moving 1 mile in 5 minutes as "not that bad"
27. You know what "motorcade gridlock" is, and have been late because of it.
28. You're aware that National Airport is in Arlington, Virginia, not D.C.
29. you know that Pentagon City is the name of a mall.
30. You know how to get to the "REAL" exorcist stairs!
31. When you know that Chevy Chase is a place, not an actor.
32. You know that if you hit one red light on Constitution Ave. you will hit every red light until you get to 66
33. You can parallel park like it’s your job.
34. You know you're from DC area when your life revolves around finding a parking space.
35. When you realize you utter the phrase "damn tourists" entirely too often.
36. You get an inch of snow and your kids miss 3 days of school.