Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The First Day of School

Here in my part of Virginia, today is the first day of school.

Soccergirl is poised to begin third grade and is excited about it. She will be seeing her friends and classmates from last year, as well as beloved teachers and school staff... these things make her happy.

Mrs Gunfighter and I are excited about it, too... sort of. You see, sending SG off to the third grade means that next year she will be in fourth grade. The year after that she will be graduating and going off to college and getting married and... Well, you get the idea.

I can't afford to get all sappy and sentimental, because today, I have to re-teach two poor shooters what they learned in the academy. I also have to attend a senior staff meeting. I can't do that kind of stuff while I am all choked up about school.

Having said all of that, if you think that I won't be leaving my office in an hour to go her school to be there when she walks in the door, you're out of your cotton pickin' minds!

ADDENDUM: So... I drove to the school breaking every speed law on the Virginia books in a brisk manner, in order to get there on time. When I got there, Mrs GF and SG were already inside. Damn! So, I got a visitor's pass from the secretaries, and went to her classroom, where I found her chatting away with her friends. I had about a minute for hugs and kisses, and away she went, happy to go back to her classmates.

I'm still glad I went.


GF

12 comments:

Jen said...

You're getting me all teary. I dropped my DS off for his first day of HIGH SCHOOL today! And I was okay until I left. And... I can't go in the classroom anymore and get hugs and kisses, lol. Glad you went.

BTW... Underdog was my favorite show as a kid - love the theme music! And I think the live action thing is an abomination.

And... thanks SO much for your offer of help with police procedurals - I will definitely take you up on it!

Desert Songbird said...

You're such a great dad, GF. Our kids are starting their FOURTH week of school, and my third grader is just getting in the groove. Then again, he's a boy, and he is a spirited, gifted, easily distracted child who has loads of other things he'd rather be doing than school work!

Hoping Soccer Girl has a GREAT school year.

Middle Girl said...

The first day of school (much earlier in some of our parts) has always been some of the more special of those special childhood days.

Cheers to a good year for the new 3rd grader!!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Awww.... brought back memories..... my first baby is going to be 25 this month ... such a long time ago that I did the whole school thing ... sad ... time sure flies....

I'll be homeschooling Matthew this time around...

Paul Champagne said...

How many times do you have to re-teach poor shooters?

If they can't keep their qualifications up ... they should be riding a desk.

If you want to know what happens if you allow poor shooters in the field ... Just look at Dick Cheney.

Heather said...

I've noticed that too. One day they're just turning 2, the next they're graduating. It's going too fast already.

Anonymous said...

She's glad you went, too. It's all the little things that make an impression. Good for you for being such a great daddy!

Anonymous said...

aww! you sound like an awesome dad.

Gunfighter said...

Jen,

You are welcome!... and I agree about Underdog.

Terri,

Interesting that you are planning to homeschool... what is your motivation?

Paul,

Welcome. I have to re-teach people more times than I care to count. Truthfully, there is an intense battle within most law enforcement agencies between the "gun guys" like me, and the "suits" who spend their time as politicians with badges.

In my opinion, and officer or agent that has a recurring problem just basically qualifying with his/her duty wepaons should be removed from service... and don't get me started about Dick "Shoot 'Em In Te Face" Cheney.!

DangerDoll,

I was thinking about it this morning as I took her to school. As much as I wanted to be the particpatory dad... I was, in part, doing it for myself. Neither of my parents ever came to school on the first day... or pretty much any other day. I don't want SG to have those memories... or the lack of those memories.

GF

soccer mom in denial said...

We just did the drop off for first grade at a new school this morning. Both boys were beyond excited and happy to go, as we were too. I'm glad I was there to wave them off with big smiles and thumbs up.

Glad you were there as well. And don't worry, graduation/marriage/motherhood doesn't come THAT fast!!

DaddyKaos said...

Just got tuned in to your postings through a friend that thought we were on the same wavelength.

I also love the theme music, how did you get it there?

Bubblewench said...

That's sweet. Glad you got there.