Friday, May 4, 2007

Condi Gets Syria-ous

So... let me get this straight: Speaker of The House, Nancy Pelosi...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...goes to Syria and meets with the Syrian President and other officials, and she is lambasted by the administration and it's adherents. She is even called "traitor" by some of the worst of the wingnuts.

Fast forward to today, and we learn in the Washington Post that during the regional conference on Iraq that is taking place in Egypt, Secretary Rice...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...has had a meeting with the Syrian Foreign minister.

Here is where I need help: Will Secretary Rice now be branded a traitor? or will Speaker Pelosi be credited for making an important diplomatic breakthrough?

This ought to be interesting.

GF

**NOTE** Secretary of State Rice and I aren't friendly enough for me to call her Condi. I usually call her... something else, but "Condi" fit better in the title for this post.

9 comments:

super des said...

You know, I had the utmost respect for that woman... until she started using her powers for evil.

jessabean said...

Facts:
-The Iraq Study Group recommended dialogue with Syria as a step forward in easing tensions in the middle East. From what I understand, Pelosi's trip involved some dialogue. The State Dept is playing catch up now, and I bet you a million dollars they're going to take all the credit for "breakthrough talks" with Syria.

-Members of Congress have been "breaking the rules" of leaving foreign policy to the President for FOREVER, and Pelosi's trip is nothin' new.

-Republican Congress members were also in Syria meeting with leaders there. The same week. I don't care who they were meeting with, or what they were talking about, they were also violating Bush's "policy" on Syria, but of course didn't get nearly as much flak from the right wing.

-Let's take a trip back in time: Former Speaker Dennis Hastert traveled to Colombia against the express wishes of the Clinton administration and effing told them to BYPASS the president and speak directly to the [Republican] Congress. If that's not slapping the presidential face and endangering U.S. foreign relations, I don't know what is.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. Sorry to hijack!

Lawyer Mama said...

I'm also interested in how this is spun. Of course Republicans would never apply a double standard. Noooooooo! (Insert sarcasm here.)

What's up with Mr./Ms. Anonymous there? I'd think that if you're confident about your views you could at least identify yourself. We're all capable of rationally discussing the matter, aren't we?

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot stand Nancy Pelosi. She makes me ill. Ucchhhhhhhhh.....


I have the utmost respect for Condi Rice.

Gunfighter said...

Teri,

Please list, for me, the reasons you dislike Mrs Pelosi... or is it because she is a Democrat?

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh my gosh, it's certainly not because she's a Democrat.

I'll be back with my list of why I don't like Nancy Pelosi.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Okay.. I'm almost done with my list...I've spent over an hour on it... I will email you.. it's too long for this comment box.

I have been thinking...
isn't it Condi's job to go over and speak w/ Syria?
And from what I understand... Nancy lied about Israel.

Gunfighter said...

"I have been thinking...
isn't it Condi's job to go over and speak w/ Syria?"


Please do some research and tell me how many congressioanl delegations had meetings with foreign leaders/officials.

Pelosi wasn't making policy, she was having meetings. They aren't the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Does the something else also start with the letter c? Cause it would for me.