Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Interview (3)

I have been interviewed agin, by Viciousrumour from The Dead Letters. VR is a new reader who, apparently has been lurkig for a bit, after surfing in from Super Des' blog, she had some interesting questions. Here they are:

(1) You mentioned in the "10 Weird Things" that you are a professional gunfighter. That's not something you just fall into. Tell us about that. For me this invokes images of the old west and tumbleweeds. What does it take to be a "professional gunfighter"? Do you get to wear chaps?

Well, I am a senior tactical firearms instructor for a federal agency. What that means in plain English, is that I teach people how to fight with a variety of guns. How to fight with guns, as opposed teaching people how to basically operate guns. I have blogged about that in some detail here, have a look at that for a start.

What does it take to be a professional gunfighter? Lots of training. Lots of training and years of experience with a variety of weapons systems. Add to that a thorough understanding of the law, as it regards the Use of Deadly Force, as well as a deep understanding of the philosophy and psychology of killing for a purpose. Once you have all of those things, you need to find a job applying all of that. There aren't many. Sure, you could go to work for one of the many private military companies (PMC's) that are springing up all over the place these days... but a great most of those people are a bunch of cowboys.

You can't be a crackpot and do this sort of work. It requires a great deal of balance.

No... I don't get to wear chaps, but if I could get away with wearing spurs, I would. Not because I need them, mind you, just because they are so cool.

Have I ever mentioned that The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favorite moives?

(2) You mentioned in your post about the onion soup that you have a "cheap palette". Do you think that "gourmet" food is over rated? Give us your best argument for good old fashioned cooking.

Oh, there is nothing wrong with gourmet food. I can cook that stuff, and usually make it better than the original bland recipes. I will say, however, that the best gourmet cooking has a tough time when compared to simple fare like Meatloaf, or a really good cheese burger, or a hearty lasagna with some crusty bread and some screw-top red wine with good friends or family.

Gourmet food tastes good... no question about it, but some foods, like the ones I mentioned, are soul-satisfying.

(3) As I read through your blog, I get the sense that your an opinionated fellow. Being the father of a daughter, how have you taught her to speak her mind with out being "in your face" or disrespectful?

Well, being opinionated and being "in your face" are two different things. First, I think that having strong opinions doesn't mean that you spout them as loud as you can, as often as you can. A certain level of discernment is required. In children, it is important to teach the concept of respect. While we don't teach soccer girl to be a doormat, we don't teach her to lip off to people, either... especially to adults.

(4) Starting with your senior year, give us the songs that are the "soundtrack" of your life. One for each year.

We could be here all day for this one, but I'll take a shot at it. Please know that I had to Google for some of these years to jog the memory.

1981: Hungry Heart,, Bruce Springsteen (I'm a Jersey boy)
1982: Our House, Madness
1983: In A Big Country, Big Country
1984: Easy Lover, Pillip Bailey & Phil Collins So Tired, Ozzy Osbourne
1985: Don't You Forget About Me, Simple Minds
1986: Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins
1987: Lean On Me, Club Nouveau
1988: Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns 'n Roses
1989: Blame it on the rain, Milli Vanili
1990: Ice, Ice Baby!,Vanilla Ice (You know that you STILL dance to that)
1991: Black or White, Michael Jackson
1992: Two Princes, Spin Doctors
1993: Mr. Wendal, Arrested Development
1994: I'll Make Love To You, Boyz II Men
1995: This is How We Do It, Montell Jordan
1996: Killing Me Softly, The Fugees
1997: Going The Distance, Cake
1098: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Aerosmith
1999: Livin' La Vida Loca, Ricky MArtin (yeah, yeah, yeah... I know)
2000: Scream, Seven Nations
2001: Short Skirt, Long Jacket - Cake
2002: Fell In Love With a Girl, The White Stripes
2003: Hey Ya!, Outkast
2004: American Idiot, Green Day
2005: One Love, Hootie & The Blowfish
2006: We Belong Together, Mariah Carey
2007: Girlfriend, (Avril Leveigne)

Damn! That was hard! Please note that I am certain that there were some years where other songs made a bigger impact, but hey, that's memory for you.

(5) Do you think anyone can ever be Totally Honest?

That is a difficult question. I doubt that anyone can be completely honest, because we all, even the most honest of us, from time to time, tell a friend that their clothing doesn't make their butt look big... when they really do. From time to time we tell our children about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, or that mommy and daddy had the door locked because "we were talking, sweetie".

I think that TOTAL honesty, while a lovely concept, can be terribly hurtful.


If you are interested in participating, please see the following:

DIRECTIONS FOR THE INTERVIEW MEME

1. Leave a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions (if I don't have your email address, you can email me instead). I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

14 comments:

Serena Woodward said...

Fantastic answers!!! I have most of those songs from the 80's on my hard drive as we speak! *laughs* It is funny how the memory works.

I agree with you about honesty. I try to be as honest as possible, but total honesty is impossible, and often hurtful.

Thanks for playing along!

super des said...

Those were very good questions AND answers.
I'm glad to let any more friends leak over onto your blog.
:)

Brillig said...

Haha. Your list of songs is awesome. Hahahaha. And yes, the thing about honesty ("mommy and daddy were talking!" HAHAHAHAHAHA) I agree.

Good questions, good answers, good post all in all.

I did one of these recently, but I have to admit that I'm curious to see what kinds of questions the Mighty Gunfighter would come up with for me. So, if you don't mind, I'd love an interview!

PT-LawMom said...

Great answers! I enjoy your blog more every day. :) I'd love to be interviewed/interview people, with the caveat that I'm trying to remain anonymous so please avoid location-specific questions. :)

cathouse teri said...

I agree! I want to see the questions the guntoter comes up with, so:

Interview ME, s'il vous plait!

Anonymous said...

Interview ME :-)

I like to talk!! (if you couldn't tell)

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I love your honesty answer ~ it's so true ... I would never ever want to hurt anyones feelers....

I do think the truth hurts sometimes!!
I'd rather not know some things...
so I don't ask.

Whenever I ask Mike for an honest answer...I ALWAYS ask for a litttttle bit of sugar on the answer ...he is brutally honest sometimes!!

Something funny I heard once...

if you have to ask if look fat, than you probably look fat!

I'm trying to decide if I want to be interviewed..... humm......
think think think.....??

Melanie said...

Sure I'm game for this one... Interview me, Please!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you listed a Bruce Springsteen song and not that horrible "99 Red Balloons." This is a shocker!

Gunfighter said...

She speaks!

Friends, please say hello to the wonderful woman that I married!

I don't know what she sees in me, but whatever it is, I am glad she does.

The Springsteen song was a favorite from high school... as for 99 Luftballoons, I wasn't sure of the year, otherwise, it would have made the list.

cathouse teri said...

Hello wonderful woman he married!

*waves*

soccer mom in denial said...

Gee, Mrs. GF can you talk to Mr. SMID and get him on-line? He fears my blog. Madness? Big Country? Oh how I wish you were my friend in high school. My life would've been so much easier.....

Conseula said...

"Mr. Wendel"! I'm going to have pull out my old Arrested Development cassette. I think I may still have a tape of their MTV Unplugged performance from 1993. Good times.

What a great meme! Interview me.
conseulafrancis at yahoo dot com

Lawyer Mama said...

I love your answer about food!

OK, I know I've already interviewed you but I would love to have you interview me. I bet you come up with some darn good questions.

My email is in my profile now.