Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Wreck of The Edmund FitzGerald

Sure, most of us know the song... but did you all know that the song was about a real ship? Did you know that the song was about a ship that sank in 1975?

I didn't know until a year or so ago.

I fancy myself as something of a history geek, and I was dashed to bits, not having known that fact.

All those years (nearly 30) thinking that Gordon Lightfoot was singing about some fictional wind-driven schooner, and it turns out that the Edmund FitzGerald was a nearly thousand foot-long ore freighter, that was the largest boat (they call them "boats" on the lakes, go figure) on the great lakes from 1959 until four years before she went down.

Hm.

9 comments:

Maria said...

I did a report on the Edmund in high school...

can't remember much about it now...

I used to have Gordon's album too. Didn't he sing the song about "If I could read your mind, love....?"

Because at the time, I thought he saw directly into my heart and knew exactly how I felt about a certain girl...

It passed, of course. :)

wst... said...

just last week or the week before the history channel was running the story of the edmund fitzgerald. its a fascinating story and they still dont know for sure what caused it to mysteriously and almost instantly sink that terrible november day.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

that "hitler" face on freaks me out everytime I see it....

Desert Songbird said...

I grew up in the Great Lakes area, so, yes, I knew it was a real ship.

Funny what sticks in your mind from childhood...

Jenn in Holland said...

ho-hoo! I knew something GUNFIGHTER didn't know!

We had many a discussion about the actual ship because there were several of us in the fam at the time OBSESSED with the song.

Still kinda am...

Ambassador said...

OK, from my music school days - take the tune of "Edmund Fitzgerald" and put the lyrics to "Star Spangled Banner" over it. Now sing.

Creepy, huh? Great Post! Ken

Serena Woodward said...

I remember my mother had that record. I used to listen to it all the time. When I was older I asked if it was a real thing or just a song. She told me about the wreck. I remember it made me so sad I wouldn't listen to the record again for a long time.

Bea said...

Yup. We Canadians may or may not be nice, but at least we know about the Edmund Fitzgerald. ;)

Anonymous said...

Late comment, as I was out of town. Of course I knew about the Edmund Fitzgerald. For a Michigander it's basic cultural literacy. Maybe if you come visit me someday I will show you the Mariner's Church (not cathedral despite what Gordon sings) where they hold the memorial services.