Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dear Susan,

I wanted to take a moment and tell you, (and everyone else that ever reads this) on this Mother's Day, what you mean to me. It is a daunting task, and no matter what I say, I'll probably fail miserably.

It is 0940, and you and soccer girl are still sleeping, after a very long, but fun Saturday. I decided not to wake you to go to church, because I think some extra sleep is something that you could really use... I am certain that the folks at Good Shepherd will get along just fine without us today.

You know, in July, it will be out thirteenth anniversary, and despite all of the things that we have done together, I am still having the time of my life. I'm not bored when I talk to you... I still love our conversations about anything... from politics, to books, to history, to theology, to whats going to happen to Paris Hilton when she lands her bony ass in jail.

I love vacationing with you. I love holding hands while we walk through the mall together. I think you are cute. I love that fact that you are so bloody smart. I love the fact that you like the food that I cook for you. I love the fact that you are so good at packing. I love that you are passionate. I love the fact that you understand what makes me tick... which is no mean feat.

I love all of those things about you... but there is more: I love your interaction with soccer girl. I love the way you shower her with love, attention, and guidance. I love the fact that most of your thoughts are about what is best for her. I love the fact that you don't stifle her. I love the fact that soccer girl loves you so much.

You are a hell of a mother, Susan... and I don't mean that in a saccharine, sugar-plum fairy sort of way. You are preparing soccer girl to face the world as a strong, independent, smart, nurturing, compassionate, and aware young woman, and I think that you are doing a great job.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Happy Mother's Day, babe!

Bill

17 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

As if more evidence of your kindness and sweetness and greatness were necessary, here it is Bill.
What a lovely letter to I must say, a lovely woman.
I am glad you shared it with us too.
Happy Mother's Day to soccer girl's Mom!

soccer mom in denial said...

I think you are both prety lucky. What an honor to read such a letter. Thank you.

cathouse teri said...

An excellent and fitting tribute to the woman you love. Happy day to all three of you.

Melanie said...

Awww.... A happy Mother's Day to soccer girl's mom!!

Lawyer Mama said...

A very sweet letter. Happy Mom's Day, Susan!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

Great tribute!

She sounds like a great lady!

Hope she has a wonderful Mother's Day!

Desert Songbird said...

You are a special man to recognize and laud the qualities in your wife that make her a wonderful mother AND companion for life.

Kudos to you for the tribute and for marrying her!

Lisa Johnson said...

Happy Mother's Day Susan! What a ringing endorsement! I'm a fan of yours too now! : )

Anonymous said...

What an amazing letter. I think it is great you are so willing to share it with everyone.

I assume you all had a great day!

Zanne said...

That was beautiful! Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day! :D

TDJ said...

What a nice letter to your wife! I hope you 3 had a wonderful day.

Tsiporah said...

Awww...that was such a lovely letter for your wife. Hope she had a very special day yesterday. BTW, Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

Alex Elliot said...

What a wonderful letter! Thanks for sharing it with us.

PunditMom said...

Sounds like you are one luck man, and she is one lucky woman!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, Bill, I think you are too good to be true. Susan is a lucky woman.

Gunfighter said...

I am too good to be true, Janet.

I can be very moody at times... I don't have endless patience... I'm not what most people would call terribly attractive... I'm not the best at a lot of things.

These are the main reasons I am so glad that Susan has stuck around all these years.

She could have done much better than me. We both know it, and I appreciate her.

Bea said...

Swoon! (Somehow I doubt that Susan believes she could have "done better" than you.)