Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In The Spotlight (Meme)

OK, things have been rather serious for the last few days, so it is timely that I have been tagged for another meme.

Madame M., from A Daily Dose of Zen has tagged me for a very unusual meme, called "In The Spotlight". This meme is a bit different, and was started by Christy, of Christy's Coffee Break

Away we go!

When did you start blogging?

In March of 2006. This was my first post.

Do your moral values effect the way you blog? If yes, how so?

I would have to say an emphatic yes. I live my life by personal code that says: Be kind to others, be friendly to all, be courteous to all, never intentionally cause hurt unless it is defensive in nature; never beat up on someone that has no chance to fight back... either verbally or physically, because, even for a warrior, there is no Honor in vanquishing someone that can't fight back.

I try to be as welcoming to people in the blogosphere as I am in my day to day life. I hope that shows in the way that I write, and how I treat people... even those that disagree with me..

What is the weirdest thing that ever happened to you?

About ten years ago, we adopted a retired racing Greyhound... his name was Duncan. He was a wonderful, happy, and devoted dog., who became our first child. Not terribly long after that, we decided that the only thing better than having a Greyhound, was having another Greyhound, so we adopted another retired hound named Zoom... we called her Zoomie.

We loved those dogs, and they brought us much joy. One day, Zoom started to walk funny... almost like she was drunk. The next day, her hind legs were paralyzed. The day after that, her front legs were paralyzed. I took her to the vet, who said that he thought she had had a stroke, and wasn't going to recover. We had to have her put down, which was, up to that point, the absolute worst day of my entire life.

Nearly a week after she was euthanized, I woke up in the middle of the night, and could swear that Zoomie was standing next to my side of the bed (she was more my dog than Susan's) with her face near mine. I reached out and petted her head, and then she was gone. I know it sounds like it was just a very realistic dream... and I realize that it was grief-driven... but it seemed incredibly real to me.

What is your best quality?

I'm friendly. I'm the guy that people always ask for directions!

What is unique about your blog?

I would have to say that a blog written by a kilt-wearing black man who makes rosaries for fun, will be unique just because of the author, but content-wise, I guess it would have to be the subject matter that I post about from time to time.

What do you want to accomplish with your blog?

Nothing earth-shattering, I'm afraid. Basically, this is a large social oulet for me. I'm a chatty person, and I like to talk to people. This is my place to be heard. My own little electronic speaker's corner. This is where I can climb to the top of the metaphorical Fairfax Apartments (from apartment 12-J) and shout out: "YOP!"* to the world, and know that there are people... maybe not many people, but some people in other places that can hear me.

I want to be heard.

How do you feel about the "Blog Popularity" issue?

Indifferent. Oh, sure, it is fun when someone reads your blog and reckons that you have said something thought provoking, or funny, or poignant (it isn't often you get to use the word "poignant", you know... unless you are watching "It's a Wonderful Life").

The various blogging awards the fly about are great fun... especially, I suspect, for the people that come up with them, because these little doohickeys generate lots of buzz for their own blogs.

I don't have a huge readership... but I like the people who have been taking the time to visit and share their thoughts with me. I'm no more concerned with being the popular guy in cyberspace than I am in my day to day life.

So... perhaps you have learned something about me, today. Perhaps this is all stuff that you either knew or had already figured out. In an event, I hope reading this didn't make you bleed from the eyes.


Now, I am going to tag people for this meme...

OK, how about: Kate, Jessabean, Allison, Tashsa, Ambassador Ken, and Jenn In Holland

Go here to find the rules... enjoy.

If anyone else reads the rule and would like to play along, please do so... but don't forget to tell me so I can read your answers!

* Big points to those that get the reference.

16 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

Is that a barbaric YOP? Or did I miss the particular reference?
Thanks for the tag. I shall investigate the rules and play along with you.
Didn't bleed once from the eyes in reading this or any other of your posts. I do greatly enjoy being one of your readers. And having you be one of my new found friends.

Anonymous said...

(Delurking, hihowareya!)

From "Horton Hears a Who"?

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, got it now! HORTON HEARS A WHO!

super des said...

We are here! We are here!

I've never heard of pets coming back in dreams after their deaths, only people. But it makes sense, because sometimes pets can be closer to us than people. Maybe the people that have these pet experiences are ashamed for admitting. Well don't be!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think meme's can be boring. But yours are always interesting and great, probably because you are so good at sharing.

I didn't get the reference. Sadly. I don't remember the last time I read Horton Hears a Who.

Desert Songbird said...

How can you not love a man who wears kilts and bellows out barbaric Yawps? Oh Captain, my captain, you are my liege. Uncle Walt would be proud of you, as would "Mr. Keating." (BTW, one of my all time favorite movies is DPS.) At least...I hope that's your reference...it is for me.

Interesting meme, great answers. Now I must retreat to pray a few decades of the rosary...

Gunfighter said...

Welcome Dangerdoll!

How long have you been lurking here???

You are quite correct about Horton... I'm so pleased. Not only do you get big points, I'll even make a rosary for you... free of charge!

Desert Songbird and JIH,

I also thought of the Barbaric Yawp, as DPS is one of my favorite movies, too.

Super Des,

I'm not ashamed at all. I miss my Zoom, and I know that she is still with me. I know that there are some people that believe animals don't have souls, but, while they are entitled to believe that, I disagree.

Jenn in China,

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

GF

Gunfighter said...

You get one, too, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Last summer Mick spent a month in Arizona with his brother while said brother donated a kidney to a friend. One day he called me and told me that the place they were staying, an old plantation converted for the use of donors and their families, was haunted by a dog. Mick was convinced that the dog was there because its idea of heaven was living at the place where it had been happiest when alive. I really like that idea of haunting due to happiness. I suspect Zoomie may have come back to say goodbye.

Anonymous said...

Found you via Charming Bitch - have been quietly in awe ever since.

I still have my entire Dr. Seuss library, now for reading with my daughter, and feel that if more adults read him, the world would be a better place. My favorites are The Lorax and The Sneetches. I'd love a rosary. {smile}

Brillig said...

Your blog is VERY unique. This is a great meme. I was tagged for it a while back, but, um, I kinda take my time on these things. haha. Your answers were awesome, as usual. Yours is one of a handful of blogs that I check absolutely every single day.

I'm also a bit annoyed that I got here late, and therefore your challenge had been answered numerous times already. Sigh. Challenge again, oh mighty gunfighter. One of these days I'm gonna win. :-)

Christy said...

Well I'm definitely not bleeding out the eyes, lol. Your answers are awesome. I learned a lot about you, and the story about your pet had me freaked out for a moment. I think he was coming back to say goodbye too...

Thanks for participating in the meme, I appreciate it, and I'm off to add your link to Coffee Break. :)

claudia said...

I am totally with you on the whole, its about the content thing. You have won my ju-jitsuka's heart with the warrior comment. Thank you for showing your honor. Until the next time. Clau

Gunfighter said...

Claudia,

Ju jitsuka!

Traditional or Brazillian???

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks for the love. I'll try ot make you proud.

And I actually thought the apartment number was from The Jeffersons.

Movin' on UP!

Melanie said...

No blood coming from the eyeballs here. And I agree this is one of the few sites I check daily!! Love the contantly new content!!!