Thursday, May 31, 2007

Food (You Pick The Topic)

Jenn In Holland asked me to do a recipe for her... one with ingredients she could get in Holland.

Jenn, this is for you, friend.


Chicken Breasts with Potatoes, Carrots, and Onions.

2 Boneless/skinless chicken breasts (sliced flat or sideways)
1 pound of mini Yukon gold potates
2 cups of baby carrots
2 medium onions
Olive oil
curry powder
chipotle flakes
minced garlic
Cornmeal


OK, pour yourself a glass of wine, put on some music, and shoo the children away.

Drink some wine.

Dance a little... go on, no one is looking.


On a cutting board, pound out the thinly sliced chicken breasts, just a little.

Dust (lightly) one side of the chicken breasts with curry powder and a dash of salt

Dust (lightly) the other side of the breasts with chipotle flakes (if you can't get chipotle flakes, use red pepper flakes). Also dust with A LITTLE paprika.

Coat both sides of the breasts with cornmeal. Set them aside.

Slice the potatoes into medallions

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Have some more wine, if you are getting low... this is supposed to be fun!

Turn up your music, and dance some more. If you significant other is around have a smooch, and maybe even a quick feel while the kids aren't looking


Cut the onions in half and slice thinly.

Heat saute (or frying) pan... add olive oil, add onions.

Saute onions until slightly soft...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add carrots, sautee together... (add garlic to taste) until done.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Set onions and carrots aside, and de-glaze pan.

Heat saute pan, add olive oil, sautee potatoes until done (if you would rather, you can par boil the spuds first, but since they are relatively thin, I don't bother).

Set potatoes aside.

Lightly fry the chicken breasts for about three minutes per side or until nice and golden.

Combine the potatoes, onions, and carrots and re-reheat.

Top up your glass

Serve.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

19 comments:

cathouse teri said...

Wow! That looks pretty fuckin yummy!

Paige said...

Wow, that looks delicious. Guess I know what I'll be doing for dinner tonight. :)

Gunfighter said...

and that recipe came out of my own head.

Sugar Kane said...

Looks yummy!

La Sirena said...

Mmm...good.

I pick the topic ...
story from the marines???

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh. My. Gawd.
I'm puttin on 5 pounds just looking at it!

Oh. My. Gawd.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Hee hee...
I had a total visual of you just sippin wine ... dancin around ... smootchin on the wife...
choppin up some grubbin...

and cookin like the chefs on TV...

funny!

cathouse teri said...

So I went and picked up the stuff to make this dinner for ONE. I love cooking for one! Ahh.....

Rebecca said...

and to say something completely original...yum!

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, Gunfighter. Darling, darling gunfighter.
I don't know exactly why, but this post has me feeling all smooshy and yummy inside.
Maybe it's the photos of those onions sauteeing.
OMG, I loooooooovvvvve that this delightful post was written as inspired by me!
I can't wait to start (drinking and dancing) cooking!

Gunfighter said...

Paige & Teri,

Let me know how it turns out!

Teri,

I like to cook... and I might as well have fun while I do it, eh?

Jenn...

Good food is SUPPOSED to make you feel like that.

GF

cathouse teri said...

Wait. GF stands for Good Food and not Gun Fighter? :)

Ambassador said...

I think a lot more people would stay home and cook a whole lot more if more recipe books were like this post - including the asides and stage directions. Fun post, tasty vittles, great photos!
Jenn - you got a recipe for us now?

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I'm missing me some shoot 'em up Friday.

Anonymous said...

Yum!

More recipes please! I'll save them up for when I return!

Maria said...

That looks delicious, but only if someone else cooks it. I have the attention span of a gnat.

I just might pass this on to my other half, Bing, who made me a wonderful asparagus soup for dinner...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try this tasty tidbit this weekend. However, it is certainly on the menu for later this week. I'll let you know how it is when I try it.

Are you a big fan of cooking? I've got some great recipes if you're interested in doing a swap of sorts. :)

Gunfighter said...

Paige,

I love to cook... I love to eat.

Some less than charitable souls might say that those two things might have something to do with my spare tire... but, I don't believe them.

GF

Alex Elliot said...

And I actually have all the ingredients for it! Needless to say, I don't keep the well-stocked fridge.