Thursday, May 17, 2007

So Long, Jerry Falwell...

...and good riddance.

Perhaps you think that is a bit harsh. Perhaps you think I shouldn't speak ill of the dead... well maybe you are right... then again, I'm not speaking ill of the man since what follows is the unvarnished truth.

If you are a "big C" Conservative, hold on, because you might find this somewhat distressing.

Jerry Falwell was an icon to many. He started the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia in an old bottling plant in 1956, and built the church to where it is today: a megachurch with 22,000 members*. He also founded Liberty University, a fundamentalist, right-wing, Baptist college.

Falwell spent his entire career as a man determined to preach the gospel. Which he did, apparently compellingly, considering the fast growth of his church.

In 1973, Falwell co-founded the Moral Majority, a right-wing political organization made up of conservative political action committees, which had, as it's primary goal, to lobby and campaign on behalf of Republican candidates and issues.

Falwell frequently described himself as not being "...a republican or a Democrat. I'm a noisy Baptist", which is a load of crap, since Falwell and his organizations spent all of their political effort on the most conservative Republican issues and candidates that it could dredge up from the sewers.

Jerry Falwell was probably a nice man. Indeed I would bet on his being mannerly, friendly, giving, generous and a host of other warm and fuzzy adjectives. I am sure that his family and friends loved him a great deal.

Here are a few other words that could accurately describe Mr. Falwell:

Racist

In 1958, Mr Falwell, discussing the 1954 Supreme Court decision, Brown v. The Board of Education, said: If Chief Justice Warren and his associates had known God’s word and had desired to do the Lord’s will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision [Brown v. Board of Education] would never have been made…. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line.” (Good thing Jerry never came to my house for dinner, eh?)

Falwell frequently hosted staunch segregationists like Lester "Axe Handle" Maddox, and George Wallace on his "Old Time Gospel Hour" evangelism show. I guess Reverend Falwell believed that God is a segregationist. I wish I could laugh at that, but, it isn't really funny.

Let's see... what other words could be used to describe Jerry Falwell? Oh!, Here's one:

Liar

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

'Nuff said?

Hmm. Other good words might be...

Homophobe, Lunatic, and Misogynist

Check this out. On September 13th, 2001, while a guest on Pat Robertson's televangelist program, Falwell said the following:

"The enemies of America give us probably what we deserve... When we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'you helped this happen.'"

So you see? The 9/11 terrorists actually attacked our country because of you damned, and I mean damned, gay people... and you feminists... and you liberals! Wow, to think of it... nearly all of the regular readers of my blog are at fault for the 9/11 attacks... and you aren't locked up at Gitmo yet! Well, be patient, I know people, and we're comin' to get you!

Poor deluded, irrational, historically ignorant, Jerry... he even hates the notion that our society is improved by universal public education. In his book, titled "America Can Be Saved", Falwell, speaking about our educational system, said: "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them."

Um... Jerry? You have a daughter who is a Surgeon... in the early days of our country, the schools, almost none of which, by the way, were run by churches, wouldn't have let your daughter learn to read!

So, you see, my friends, I shall not mourn the passing of Mr Falwell. While I wish the best for his family, I have to be clearly on record here, by saying that I believe that my country is much better off, every time someone of Mr Falwell's particular bent, dies.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

GF

24 comments:

Lloyd said...

I second that Amen.

super des said...

I don't feel he is owed any respect because he is dead. He never gave respect to anyone except straight white Christian males, those exactly like him.

Good riddance indeed.

Gwen said...

I was shocked that he died; for some reason, I assume the worst ones just hang around forever, but I can't say I feel sad. I wonder, though, if he is part of an old guard that will soon be gone or if someone equally offensive and nothing like Jesus will move to fill his vacuum.

cathouse teri said...

Ha ha, Gwen. That reminds me of when my girlfriend had cancer and she was a lovely, lovely woman. Everywhere I'd go, people would say, "how is she?" etc... and then add, "It's just not fair; the good ones always go young." I would say, "Ahem... they do? Are you saying... um... well that I'm not good then because I'm not dying?" :)

jessabean said...

I admit I felt a tiny bit guilty for actually feeling kind of glad that he won't be around anymore to blame gays and women for all the bad things that happen in the world. It amazes me how profoundly un-Christian he was.

True story: Yesterday I told my boyfriend that I thought I might go to hell for being happy that Falwell was gone. He said "Well when you get there, say hi to him for me, will ya?"

Ambassador said...

GF - When the news broke, my phone started ringing off the hook. Friends from all over couldn't wait to make sure that everyone knew.

Various choruses of "Ding Dong, the Prick is Dead" were sung, rainbow flags were flown as high as possible, and not a tear was shed. Anyone filled with that much hate will sink straight down to a very special circle in Hell.

Oh, my...did that sound bitter. Great post, GF.

Zanne said...

It's hard to respect someone in death that you had no respect for in life. The best I can do is wish comfort for his family and loved ones and pray to God that his hate-filled legacy dies with him. Can I hear an Amen?

Gunfighter said...

Amen!

La Sirena said...

Good post, Gunfighter.

I like "ding dong the prick is dead" and spent the day trying to decide whether Falwell was going to end up in the eighth or ninth circle.

Tasha said...

Amen, and Hallelujah while we're at it!

soccer mom in denial said...

Dan Wasserman's cartoon today was Falwell in heaven saying "oh no" as a parade of angels floating by on clouds - men hooking arms with men and women hooking arms with women.

Hee-hee.

Amie Adams said...

Did you see Ann Coulter's piece today on him? I caught it on Joe.My.God. SHE makes Falwell look a shy boy.

I'd stay longer, but I've got to go secularize America.

Ciao!

Suzanne said...

I've never believed in not speaking ill of the dead. If they were assholes when they were alive, being dead doesn't change that.

Janet Kincaid said...

AMEN! And I won't mourn when that nitwit Robertson dies, either.

Rebecca said...

Well ...yeah....The America I know and love (all from tv, mind you) is going down the drain!!! Far too many gays, feminists, abortionists and ignorant people trying to cross that God-intended Line Of Distinction....

wow. what a froot

Brillig said...

Nope. Not harsh. Perfect. I've always been positively disgusted with him.

I remember hearing the quote you have there about 9-11 and was SO GRATEFUL that he pointed out to me that it was because of the feminists and the gays that we were attacked. Indeed. Such depth there... Positively disgusting.

This is the best eulogy I've heard about him. Well done.

Unknown said...

Don't worry. There are a few of us White Male Straight Christians moving up through the ranks who happen to be Liberals (like Jesus) and don't resemble Falwell at all. But I do wish him well and I send condolences to his family because despite it all... He was someones son, and someones Daddy and Someones Honey and someones buddy.

Gunfighter said...

Daniel!

Long time, no see, dude!

How are you these days?????

GF

Lawyer Mama said...

Gosh, now *this* is a perfect post!

I'm sure Tinky Winky is dancing on his grave. With his purse.

Lisa Johnson said...

How can I put this as politely as possible? I didn't shed any tears for the man and it was his time. That's about all I can muster.

Desert Songbird said...

I hope Tinky Winky is dancing AND pissing on his grave. I "love" how the religious right points the finger of blame at all "other" demographic groups and blames them for the ills of society, never once bothering to see that the gospel that THEY profess adheres to Christ's teaching is so far removed from Christ, Jesus himself would laugh his ASS OFF before smiting them.

Nicely said, GF. I knew you would have a strong opinion on the Fallen One. Fall-well and far down, Falwell.

PunditMom said...

I, too, feel a bit guilty for feeling happy that he won't be around for this next election cyle. Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be others to step into his shoes.

King Isepik said...

I'm not the least bit guilty because he's dead. I grew up close to Lynchburg and saw the damage he did to the city. I also had the unfortunate luck to have to deal with the unmitigated, racist, holier-than-thou ASSHOLE in person. I was unaware that a person could be so blinded by the copious amounts of diarrhea he spewed. I'm glad he's dead. Perhaps the world will be granted a temporary reprieve from oblivion for a few moments since that source of hate has been removed.

Sorry all, I just had to get that off my chest.

Gunfighter said...

No need to apologize, King!

Opinions, especially strongly held one, are welcome here!